Pearland TX

BREAKING: Coronavirus case confirmed in San Antonio

Officials from the Centers for Disease Control and the City of San Antonio announced Thursday that a case of the novel coronavirus has been confirmed.

The patient, who was quarantined at Joint Base San Antonio Lackland, was officially diagnosed with the disease that first originated in Wuhan, China. The risk to the public remains low, San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg said.

The patient had a fever reported Tuesday morning. Doctors took samples and sent them to the CDC for testing. The results that confirmed the diagnosis were received at 6 p.m. Wednesday, said Captain Jennifer McQuiston said, the deputy director of the center’s Division of High Consequence Pathogens and Pathology.

The individual is currently isolated and receiving medical care at a designated hospital nearby. Officials declined to release the name of the hospital.

The CDC previously said hospitals across San Antonio and the nation have a plan in place in case of a coronavirus diagnosis. The protocol went “exactly” according to plan, Nirenberg said.

“The system worked precisely,” he added. “I want to repeat, every precaution has been executed according to plan.”

Read more at KSAT.com…

Categories: Pearland TX